Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Ship of Faith

The mercy and generosity of God never cease to amaze me. Sometimes He answers my prayers in His own time and in a way that I didn't ask for. Sometimes, they go unanswered. And other times, He answers them with Godspeed. Like today.

I offered Mass today for a special intention that has been on my mind for a few weeks, and after Mass I stayed to pray the rosary in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Jesus is always there, waiting for us to come to Him with our petitions, our cares and our concerns. How often do we rush out of Mass the minute it ends, and neglect to take the time to keep Him company as He stays hidden in the Tabernacle? What is so important that we can't take the time to stay with Him, to thank Him, and to offer ourselves to Him?

Today I received many graces from God that I am acutely aware of; more than I asked for, and am very grateful for. God has a way of rewarding us in a much greater proportion than what we deserve. He cannot be outdone in charity. I am truly grateful for all that I have been given, and I can't think of any greater blessing than to belong to the Catholic faith, with all its beauty, mystery and majesty. A friend once told me the Catholic Church is like a ship, steering us towards our salvation. Catholics are aboard the ship, and people of all other faiths are hanging on to the outside of the ship as it navigates us towards our eternal destiny. I am blessed to be a passenger on that ship.

No comments: