Monday, March 05, 2007

Penance

Last night I ran into a priest (no not literally) who was passing through town. When I said hello to him, I mentioned that he was a good confessor. I only went to him once for confession, and he surprised me by actually giving penance that fit the circumstances. Oh, I know the standard three Hail Mary's or three other prayers are also penance, and should be said with as much reverence and contrition as one can muster up, but it's always nice to get a penance that one really has to think about. It's just too easy to recite three little prayers. It's like getting off the hook with as little effort as possible. This is Lent, after all. Penance done in the spirit of mortification leads to holiness. It must be a gift that some priests have, to be really good confessors.

No comments: