Sunday, April 08, 2007

Drawing on God's Mercy



I saw a drawing similar to the one above a few years ago. It was on a funeral card, and the young man whose funeral it was had drawn the image a few weeks before he died. Every time I come across one of these images of Mary Magdalene washing the feet of Jesus with her tears, and drying them with her hair, I think about how his drawing seemed almost prophetic, and these words come to mind: "Your sins are forgiven. Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

Luke 7 [44] Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, "Do you see this woman? I entered your house, you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair.
[45] You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet.
[46] You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment.
[47] Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little."
[48] And he said to her, "Your sins are forgiven."
[49] Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, "Who is this, who even forgives sins?"
[50] And he said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you; go in peace."

No comments: