Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Mass Appeal



The Traditional Mass is growing, for sure, but it has a long way to go to find the same kind of numbers the Novus Ordo enjoys. But just ask any traditionalist, and they will tell you it's not about mass appeal. Rather, it's about Mass appeal. The sacredness, the moments of silence, the holy reverence and the beauty of the Traditional Latin Mass are what draws people to the ancient sacred rite of the Church.

The calm, the stillness, the dignity and beauty, are what separates the Latin Mass from its newer replacement. I seldom feel as though I have participated in an act of worship at a Novus Ordo Mass, but when I attend a TLM, the feeling of peace stays with me for a long while. There's something about the trappings and the symbolism of the Latin Mass that help to draw people in to the spiritual realm of worship where they can really focus on the supernatural and feel closer to God.

I live almost 300 kilometers from the nearest traditional Mass, so I don't get to go very often, and every time I go to a Sunday Novus Ordo, I feel as though I have come away empty. Daily Masses are much better, though, with fewer distractions, but I still feel as though my soul is missing out on the richness of grace that I notice when attending a TLM.

Of course, I am thankful that we are not a mission parish, and have a priest in our community to administer the sacraments, but I feel drawn to the Traditional rite. I have decided to make the long trip, once a month, to Calgary to attend the FSSP Mass at St Anthony's Church, starting this Sunday, April 15.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to know! if your coming on friday, please let me know and i can see if iam well enough to attend Mass with you. oh, can you call me when your in town?

Leticia said...

I enjoy the Idult Mass once a month, about 45 minutes away. I love the chance to offer my prayers and sacrifices on the altar with the priest, and the ethereal Latin hymns are breathtaking!