Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Opposition to tradition

The opposition to the Motu Proprio from both the laity and clerics speaks volumes about the importance and significance of the Pope's gesture in returning the Catholic Church to her senses and to her roots. Some people are afraid of the past, afraid of tradition, and fearful of returning to the "dark ages" where worship was a spiritual act of reverence and holiness; a clear and distinct sacrifice offering adoration, thanksgiving, and atonement to God, an act that surpasses in holiness the communal meal that has downplayed and replaced the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for the last forty years.

Why is it that some people feel so threatened by the Traditional Mass? What are they afraid of? In my own parish, I came up against this very opposition today, where someone said we will never have a Mass that is void of laity involvement, and if I thought we were going to return to the dark ages, then I needed to think again. I was accused of spiritual pride for expressing a desire that we have an occasional Traditional Mass that followed the rubrics of the 1962 Missal.

It is this attitude that we must guard against. Instruction of the faithful, so that they fully understand the meaning and significance of the rubrics of the Mass of the Ages, is paramount to its success in a parish where it has never been offered, and where the priest is also learning how to say the TLM for the first time. Otherwise, it will be a disaster, just another Mass full of innovations and novelties that happens to have some Latin thrown in. The Pope has restored the Traditional Latin Mass, for use by those who desire and love it. The efforts of some who wish to sabotage the restoration and implementation of the TLM can mean only one thing. Spiritual warfare. And we all know who is behind that.

6 comments:

318@Nicea said...

I think the fear comes from the fact that once the old way is back so is the old doctrine that has been around for 2000 years, and many will have to be confronted with the doctrine of mortal sin again and have to deal with it. Either in the sacrament of penance or leave the Catholic Church. The realities of heaven and hell will be brought forth again, carrying ones cross daily, denying oneself, loving Christ by obeying his commandments, etc. will all be brought back and the so-called "cool" MTV "real-world" Catholicism will no longer be there.
Dave

Anita Moore said...

In my own parish, I came up against this very opposition today, where someone said we will never have a Mass that is void of laity involvement, and if I thought we were going to return to the dark ages, then I needed to think again. I was accused of spiritual pride for expressing a desire that we have an occasional Traditional Mass that followed the rubrics of the 1962 Missal.

It is this attitude that we must guard against.


Not only that, but that's exactly the sort of crap the Holy Father said needs to be cut, in his letter to the bishops.

VSO said...

They're afraid that they can no longer pick and choose what to believe. They're afraid that they're losing their illegitimate power. They're scared crap-less that their mission to paganize the Church has failed and that their judgement day is nigh.

What was wrong about the so-called "dark ages"? They weren't nearly as bad as liberals and prots want us to believe.

AquinaSavio said...

My own Pastor wrote a mumbo-jumbo letter to the whole parish about how this is really a good thing, but the TLM won't be coming to our parish. That is because he didn't want to introduce a new rite to our parish, considering we have no Spanish, Vietnamese, or Portuguese rites there.

He then went on to say that we are Children of Vatican II (do you think I was losing it at this point?) and that it was good to hold on to traditions, but it was not necessarily the right thing to do all the time.

I wrote him a letter (can you imagine what I said? :D ). I work at my parish with two jobs. I may get fired, but I really don't care any more.

Simon-Peter Vickers-Buckley said...

"I was accused of spiritual pride for expressing a desire that we have an occasional Traditional Mass"

The MP and letter are very short. It is not beyong anyones ken to memorize them word for word, especially parts in anticipation of objections.

The answer to that charge is to quote the MP and letter and ask whether the Pope is guilty of spiritual pride.

I found the comment about lay involvment funny:

they aren't involved now...busy, but not involved.

Deacon Bill Burns said...

I hope we don't see such antagonism here, but it won't surprise me if we do.

I'm listening Fr. Corapi right now, and he said something that strikes me as being particularly relevant to us in this instance. If we want to have peace, always come as a servant.