Today is the first Friday of September, and I'm planning on attending the Holy Hour and devotions at my church. I've never been able to complete the Nine First Fridays, as something (like an ambulance call) always comes up. The devotion was first made popular by St Margaret Mary Alacoque, and here is her profile from EWTN. When I read the promises that Jesus made to those who carry on this devotion, I wonder how I can possibly put anything else above this devotion, but life happens, and it's actually not easy in our busy world to complete the nine First Fridays. Today, I will make another attempt.
The Promises of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque
2. "I will establish peace in their homes."
3. "I will comfort them in their afflictions."
4. "I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death."
5. "I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings."
6. "Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy."
7. "Tepid souls shall grow fervent."
8. "Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection."
9. "I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored."
10. "I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts."
11. "Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out."
12. "I promise thee in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving the Sacraments; My Divine heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment."