Monday, September 27, 2010

Souls in Purgatory Mass Campaign

One of my readers has come up with a brilliant idea to have as many Masses said worldwide on Christmas Day for the benefit of the Holy Souls. As you may know, there is a long standing tradition within the Catholic Church that more souls are released from Purgatory on Christmas Day than at any other time.

Now, I challenge you, all my readers and other bloggers: Get thee to your priest right away and ask him to schedule a Mass on Christmas Day for the Holy Souls. Pay him the stipend; whatever it is in your Diocese. I did just that after Sunday's Mass. I was blessed to be in Vancouver, where I got to attend the Low Mass. After Mass I approached the visiting FSSP priest and asked him to say a Mass for the Holy Souls on Christmas. He agreed to do so and asked me if I would like the Midnight Mass. He scheduled it into his IPhone right then and there, and told me it may very well be a private Mass; one of his three Masses he can say daily.

Tomorrow, I will post the letter from the reader who got this whole idea rolling.

Please post this challenge on your own blogs, and think about the Holy Souls languishing in Purgatory, and how much benefit we can give to these poor souls by uniting our efforts to release them from their imprisonment to all their glory in heaven.

6 comments:

Anita Moore said...

By an amazing coincidence, I just arranged to have three Masses said for the Holy Souls.

paramedicgirl said...

Anita, that is wonderful! Do you know if they will be said during the Christmas Octave?

Anita Moore said...

Probably they will be offered more or less immediately. The priest I asked to offer them doesn't get very many requests for Mass intentions.

In fact, if your readers would like to help keep this priest in Mass intentions, here is his info:

Rev. Andrew Szymakowski, FSSP
St. Bridget of Kildare Catholic Church
504 Locust Ave
Nyssa, OR 97913

Even if the Masses aren't offered during the Octave of Christmas, the Holy Souls could use all the help they can get!

Anonymous said...

What a good idea. I'll let others know about this too. Apprieciate the address, Anita. It's good to have this type of information when one is looking for a priests to offer mass. PMG,what luck - a midnight mass. Congratulations. Hope we're all able to find a priest to do this. Thanks for posting this and telling us about it.

Elizabeth

Michele said...

get thee? :D that was one of mom's favorite sayings:D that made me smile:) mom would always say when in times of trouble, and the devil attacking you, "get thee hence!" and she would also say get thee for various other things. that brought back a good memory. :)

paramedicgirl said...

Anita, I am posting this priests address in the combox of the follow up post.

Elizabeth, it sounds like you are in! Wonderful!